Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, this good girl is tempted to peek inside, because the contents just might be key to winning a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his
life. As things heat up in the lab though, Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and will compel her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad. (Bethfantaskey.com)


I thought this book was a really fun read! It was very twisty and turny (not an actual word but go with it?) and it made it exciting to read. I really did not know what to expect most of the time. I related so well with Jill Jekel (the beginning Jill) that it was a little painful to read. I don't want to remember how I was freshman year of high school, when I still cared what people thought! Jill's behavior was sad because it's true for a lot of people.

The whole plot was unique to me. I usually don't like when a book flips from one character's perspective to another character's perspective (in this case the chapters would randomly alternate between Tristan and Jill) but I found it great in this book. I liked watching both Tristen and Jill's character develop throughout the book. I thought the writing was really good and I can't wait to read more by Fantaskey. The ending wasn't stellar but I still liked it. This book didn't turn out like I expected, but in a good way. Can't beat that.

Overall: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment