Monday, July 26, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones

Zara collects phobias the way other girls collect Facebook friends. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara (Barnesandnoble.com).




This series is awesome! This is the first book in the series and I totally love it. I was looking for a book to read yesterday but I didn't want to read anything where someone died/dies. But, unfortunately someone died in this book. I don't know why I keep coming reading books where someone dies. I don't really mind it but every book I read lately has death in it. I hope it's not some weird omen. Jeez.

Anyway, I got over the fact that someone died and got into this great book. I really like the main character, Zara. A lot. She is awesome. This book has great characters. The writing is great too. It has everything from weretigers (who knew?) to pixies. Pixies that leave trails of gold dust. Awesome.

The book kind of transforms from Zara feeling gloomy about her dad's death to Zara taking action. From the beginning my thoughts were, why is this book called "Need"? It's such an intriguing name. Zara seemed to have a need for a lot of things. Need of comfort. Need of grieving. Need of closure and moving on. But, that is not why the book is called "Need". At least, not entirely. The pixies have a need. Scary, yes. Interesting, also yes.

This book has a lot of dynamics and I really like that. I was not a fan of the subtle political undertones, though. Not that I disagree or agree with them, just not a fan of them in the book. The book was way good enough to make me forget this. It is apart of Zara zealous nature also, which is what I like about her.

My favorite part of the book is definitely Zara. She chants phobias to help with her fears. How cool is that? I think I would learn a lot about phobias but I can't pronounce most of them so I can't remember them. Each chapter is headed with a phobia and what it means.

This book is definitely worth the read!

Overall: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment