Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock


This is the summer that fifteen-year-old D. J. Schwenk, expert at cows and football, learns an awful lot about love and life.

A farmgirl who loves football a football playing farmer who loves the Food Network a mother who loves her career a nerd who loves cheerleading and an all-star athlete who loves dentistry D.J. describes them all in her modest, funny, and honest voice.

D.J. Schwenk, a 16-year-old living on her family s farm in Wisconsin, comes from a family of football stars. Football is so important in her family that even the cows are named after famous football players. The Schwenks may excel in football but they definitely don't excel in communication. D.J. recognizes that her family does not discuss important issues and decides she must search for the strength to look for greener pastures in her own life. When she finds the courage to do what really makes her happy, she discovers passions in the people she loves and learns to appreciate each more fully (Barnesandnoble.com).


Sigh. This book is so great. Just talking about it makes me want to read it again today.

The MC, DJ, is such a great character. Murdock's writing is fantastic. I have read a lot of books where authors write with the largest vocabulary they can manage. This is not that book. This book is spoken through DJ's mouth, a girl raised on a dairy farm. It's fantastic.

DJ wants to make sure she's not a cow. By a cow she means just doing what she's told, never questioning, going through the motions of life. I had myself questioning whether I am a cow as I read this book. It's a question that I have never asked myself. LOL!

Brian can be a jerk but I really like him. This book has such great characters. I wish I had more to say. I read this book so quickly because it was like a big delicious chocolate cake. The ending was really good and I immediately wanted to read the sequel.

What will happen with DJ and Brian? I already know because I read the next two books in this trilogy but you don't so go out and read them. You won't regret it!

Overall: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment