Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder


About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have a room in the palace--and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust--and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...(barnesandnoble.com)



This book is enthralling! I was hooked from start to finish and could not put it down! My favorite things about the book are: the time setting, the world created, Valek, Yelena, Ari and Janco.

The time setting is awesome. I love when a book is set when there is no electricity. Don't ask me why, I just do. The world that Snyder created is really cool. I get really excited when a book starts out with a map that the author created, like this book did. I don't think I could ever be creative enough to create an entire world and a map to go along with it.

Valek is hot. Throughout the book Valek is such a great male character. Sigh. He is stoic, smart, a fighting machine. I really love how he loves Yelena. Yelena's character is so strong and smart I can't help but loving her too. She has gone through so much and I really like how she fesses up to what she's done and doesn't rat anyone out. She want's to take care of things on her own. My favorite thing about her is that she wants to learn and she's hardworking.

Ari and Janco are the brother you have always wanted! They teach Yelena so much and protect her and are there for her when she needs them.

This book is truly great.

Overall: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment